Giles, a black cat from New York, has won Nationwide’s Hambone Award for the most unusual pet insurance claim of the year. The award program was started by Nationwide Insurance after a dog got mild hypothermia from eating an entire ham while stuck in a refrigerator. Giles’ claim came about when he got trapped between a cushion and a sofa bed, requiring stitches. Despite his injuries, Giles is now doing much better. As the winner of the Hambone Award, Giles received a trophy, gift card, and the opportunity to donate to a pet charity of his owner’s choice.
Giles’ victory in the 15th Annual Hambone Award was not easy, as there were many other unusual and worthy finalists. These included a Labrador that jumped off a 36-foot-high bridge, a parrot that was slammed inside a door, and a puppy that chewed on a phone charger. The Hambone Awards highlight these ridiculous medical claims to show the value of having pet insurance. Nationwide hopes that by sharing these stories, pet owners will realize the importance of protecting their furry companions.
Giles’ owners, Kaitlyn and Reid, have learned their lesson and now have a rule in their apartment to always check if Giles is under the couch before putting it back together. Despite his misadventure, Giles has developed a phobia of anything with a hinge on it. However, he is now enjoying his newfound fame as the winner of the Hambone Award, and his owners are proud of his victory.